HOBART AND WILLIAM SMITH COLLEGES
ALCOHOL USE AND ABUSE: CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES
Books for purchase (in bookstore):
· Fingarette, Herbert, Heavy Drinking, U. of California Press, 1988.
· Knapp, Caroline, Drinking: A Love Story, The Dial Press, 1996.
· Manzardo, Ann, Donald Goodwin, William Gabrielli, Elizabeth Penick, Jan Campbell, Alcoholism: The Facts, Oxford University Press, 2008 fourth edition.
· Perkins, H. Wesley (Editor), The Social Norms Approach to Preventing School and College Age Substance Abuse: A Handbook for Educators, Counselors, and Clinicians, Jossey-Bass, 2003.
Books with Chapters on Canvas or online (selected chapters to be read):
· Babor, Thomas, et al. Alcohol: No Ordinary Commodity, Research and Public Policy, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, 2010.
· Braun, Stephen, Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine, Penguin Books, 1996. (available on library webpage: Ebrary - https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hws/detail.action?docID=578793&query=buzz ).
· Grant, Marcus and Litvak, Jorge (ed.), Drinking Patterns & Their Consequences, Taylor and Francis, 1998.
· Jurkiewicz, Carole, and Murphy Painter (Editors). Social and Economic Control of Alcohol: The 21st Amendment in the 21st Century, CRC Press, 2008.
· Venturelli, Peter J. (Editor), Drug Use in America: Social, Cultural, and Political Perspectives, Jones and Bartlett Pub., 1994.
Articles available on Canvas:
· Bales, Robert F., “Cultural Differences in Rates of Alcoholism,” Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 6, pp480-499 (1946).
· DeWit, David J. et al. “Age at First Alcohol Use: A Risk Factor for the development of Alcohol Disorders,” American Journal of Psychiatry, 157, pp745-750 (2000).
· Glassner, Barry, “Jewish Sobriety,” Society, Culture, and Drinking Patterns Reexamined, Chapter 15, pp311-326.
· Masten, Ann S. et al. “A Developmental Perspective on Underage Alcohol Use,” Alcohol Research & Health, 32, pp3-15 (2009).
· Perkins, H. Wesley, “Gender Patterns in Consequences of Collegiate Alcohol Abuse: A 10-Year Study of Trends in an Undergraduate Population,” Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 53, pp458-462 (1992).
· Perkins, H. Wesley, “Drinking Motivated by the Desire to Reduce Stress: Life Course and Gender Patterns among College-Educated Young Adults,” Alcoscope International Review of Alcoholism, 3, pp10-14 (2000).
· Perkins, H Wesley and Berkowitz, Alan D., “College COAs and Alcohol Abuse: Problem Drinking in Relation to Assessments of Parent and Grandparent Alcoholism,” Journal of Counseling and Development, 69, pp237-240 (1991).
· Clean and Sober
· When a Man Loves a Woman